Rachael Freeman Long
70 Cottonwood St
Woodland, CA 95695
SpecialtyPest management, agronomy, dry beans, alfalfa, water quality, oil seed crops
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Ag Commodities and Products - General
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Field Crops
- Field Crops - General
- Beans, Dry - Other
- Vegetable Crops
- Plants and Their Systems
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Weeds Affecting Plants
- Vertebrates, Mollusks, and Other (Non Arthropod, Pathogen, Nematode, Weed) Pests
- Biological Control of Pests Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Beneficial Insects
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Watershed Protection and Management
- Pollution Prevention and Mitigation
- Economics, Markets, and Policy
- Economics of Agricultural Production and Farm Management
- Market Economics
- Garbach, Kelly; Long, Rachael (2017). Determinants of field edge habitat restoration on farms in California’s Sacramento Valley. J. of Environmental Management, Vol 189:134-141. Journal of Environmental Management. Vol 189, 134-141.
- Kross, Sara; Ingram, Kate (2017). Drivers of farmer perceptions of wildlife and on-farm conservation actions. Conservation Letters. 1-9.
- Long, Rachael; Garbach, Kelly (2017). Hedgerow benefits align with food production and sustainability goals. California Agriculture. 71:3, 117-119.
Morandin LA, RF Long, and C Kremen. 2016. Pest control and pollination cost benefit analysis of hedgerow restoration in a simplified agricultural landscape. J. Economic Entomology. tow086
- LD, Godfrey; Long., R (2016). "University of California Integrated Pest Management Guidelines for Alfalfa, Insects and Mites."
- LD, Godfrey; Long, R (2016). "University of California Integrated Pest Management Guidelines for Dry Beans, Insects and mites, diseases and nematodes."
- S, Gillespie; Long, RF (2015). "Indirect effects of field management on pollination service and seed set in hybrid onion seed production." Journal of Economic Entomology 107(1): 29-37.
- Morandin, L.; Long, R. (2014). "Hedgerows enhance beneficial insects and pest control on adjacent tomato fields in an intensive agricultural landscape." Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment
- Gillespie, S.; Long, R. (2014). Indirect effects of field management on pollination service and seed set in hybrid onion seed production.
- Gillespie, S.; Long, R. (2013). "Insecticide use in hybrid onion seed production effects pre and post-pollination processes." Journal of Economic Entomology
- Long, R.; Temple, S. (2013). Lima bean production in California. UC ANR Publication. 8505.
- Voss, R.; Murray, M. (2013). Onion seed production in California. UC ANR Publication. 8008.
- Prichard, T.; Schwankl, L. (2011). Controlling offsite movement of agricultural chemical residues: Alfalfa. UC ANR Publication. 8459. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Morandin, L.; Long, R. (2011). "Hedgerows enhance beneficial insects on farms in Californiaâs Central Valley." California Agriculture 65(4): 197-201.
- Long, R.; Morandin, L. (2011). "Low hybrid onion seed yields relate to honey bee visits and insecticide applications." California Agriculture 65(3): 155-158.
- Long, R.; Temple, S. (2010). Common dry bean production in California, second edition. UC ANR Publication. 8402. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Long, R.; Anderson, J. (2010). Establishing hedgerows on farms in California. UC ANR Publication. 8390. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Long, R.; Hanson, B. (2010). "Mitigation techniques reduce sediment in runoff from furrow-irrigated cropland." California Agriculture 64(3): 135-140.
- Long, R.; Fulton, A. (2010). Protecting surface water from sediment-associated pesticides in furrow-irrigated fields. UC ANR Publication. 8403. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Long, R.; Meyer, R. (2008). Producing alfalfa hay organically. Irrigated Alfalfa Production Manual. UC ANR. 3512
- Tietje, W.; Heaton, E. (2008). Songbird, owl, and bat boxes. UC ANR Publication. 21636.
- Summers, C.; Godfrey, L. (2006). UC IPM Guidelines for Alfalfa, Insects and Mites. UC ANR.
- Long, R.; Kiser, W. (2006). "Well-placed bat houses can attract bats to Central Valley farms." California Agriculture 60(2): 91-94.
- Long, R.; Gan, J. (2005). Pesticide Choice: Best Management Practice (BMP) for protecting surface water quality in agriculture. UC ANR Publication. 8161.
- Long, R.; Kimball, M. (2003). Establishing a hedgerow. UC ANR Publication. V02-A.
- Ehler, L.; Pease, C. (2003). "Farmscape ecology of a native stinkbug in the Sacramento Valley." Fremontia 30: 3-4.
- Long, R.; Nett, M. (2002). "Insecticide choice for alfalfa may protect water quality." California Agriculture 56(5): 163-169.
- Putnam, D.; Long, R. (2001). "Effect of overseeding forages into alfalfa on alfalfa weevil, forage yield and quality." Journal Agronomy & Crop Science 187: 75-81.
- Canevari, W.; Putnam, D. (2000). Overseeding and Companion Cropping in Alfalfa. UC ANR Publication. 21594.
- Long, R.; Simpson, T. (1998). "Bats feed on crop pests in Sacramento Valley." California Agriculture 52(1): 8-10.
- Long, R.; Corbett, A. (1998). "Movement of beneficial insects from flowering plants to associated crops." California Agriculture 52(5): 23-26.
- Ehler, L.; Long, R. (1997). "Potential for augmentative biological control of black bean aphid in California sugar beet." Entomophaga 42(1): 241-256.
- Lanini, W.; Freeman Long, R. (1996). "Pre-emergence herbicides have little effect on vigor of perennial grasses." California Agriculture 50(5): 38-41.
- Hoffman, M.; Kirkwyland, J. (1995). "Field tests with kairomone-baited trap for cucumber beetles and corn rootworms in cucurbits." Environmental Entomology 25(5): 1173-1181.
- Welter, S.; Freeman, R. (1991). "Recovery of âZinfandelâ grapevines from feeding damage by Willamette spider mite (Acari: Tetranychidae): Implications for economic injury level studies." Environmental Entomology 20(1): 104-109.
- Freeman, R.; Carey, J. (1990). "Interaction of host stimuli in the ovipositional response of the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata (Diptera: Tephritidae)." Environmental Entomology 19(4): 1075-1080.
- Van Steenwyk, R.; Havens, D. (1990). "Trap improvement studies for two vectors of western X-disease: Colladonus montanus and Fieberiella florii (Homoptera: Cicalellids)." Journal of Economic Entomology 83: 2279-2283.
- Welter, S.; Farnham, D. (1989). "Willamette mite and Pacific spider mite (Acari: Tetranychidae) on grape gas exchange." Environmental Entomology 18(6): 953-957.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Hedgerows enhance beneficial insects on farms in California's Central Valley
- Low hybrid onion seed yields relate to honey bee visits and insecticide use
- Mitigation techniques reduce sediment in runoff from furrow-irrigated cropland
- Well-placed bat houses can attract bats to Central Valley farms
- Preemergence herbicides have little effect on vigor of perennial grasses
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Grain Legume - Chair
- Alfalfa and Forage Systems - Member
- Ecological Restoration - Member
- Entomology - Member
- Organic - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Vegetable Crops - Member
- Water Quality - Member
- Wildlife - Member