2101 East Earhart Avenue, Suite 200
Stockton, CA 95206
Contra Costa County
Capitol Corridor MCP Cooperative Extension
Michelle is the Delta Crops Resource Management Advisor serving San Joaquin, Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, and Contra Costa counties. Her educational background includes a B.S. in Crop Science and Management from U.C. Davis, and a M.S. and Ph.D. in Horticulture from Cornell University. At Cornell, her research focused on soil management in apple orchards. Michelle has also done research in Spain, Chile, and New Zealand studying olives, wine grapes, and kiwifruit, respectively. In her role as Delta farm advisor, she conducts a research and extension program that addresses agronomic crop production and water and soil resource management. Specific interests include variety evaluations in grain corn, small grains, and rice; cover cropping and soil health; and soil salinity management in Delta cropping systems.
SpecialtyCrop Production, Soil and Water Resources, the Delta
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Field Crops - General
- Plant Management Systems
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Rosenberg, S., A. Crump, W. Brim-DeForest, B. Linquist, L. Espino, K. Al-Khatib, M.M. Leinfelder-Miles, C.M. Pittelkow (2022). "Crop rotations in California rice systems: assessment of barriers and opportunities." Frontiers in Agronomy 4: Article 806572.
- Kanter, J., N. Clark, M.E. Lundy, V. Koundinya, M. Leinfelder-Miles, R. Long, S. Light, W. Brim-DeForest, B. Linquist, D. Putnam, R.B. Hutmacher, and C. Pittelkow (2021). "Top management challenges and concerns for agronomic crop production in California: Identifying critical issues for extension through needs assessment." Agronomy Journal
- Becker, T., T. Nelsen, M. Leinfelder-Miles, and M. Lundy (2020). "Differentiating between nitrogen and water deficiency in irrigated maize using a UAV-based multi-spectral camera." Agronomy 10: 1671-1692.
- Durand, J.R.; Bombardelli, F. (2020). "Drought and the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, 2012-2016: environmental review and lessons lessons." San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Sciences 18(2): 1-26.
- R.F., Long; Leinfelder-Miles, M. (2019). Garbanzo production in California. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. ANR Publication 8634, 18. January 2019.
- Geisseler, D., K. Miller, M. Leinfelder-Miles, and R. Wilson (2019). "Use of soil protein pools as indicators of soil nitrogen mineralization potential." Soil Science Society of America Journal
- Medellin-Azuara, J.; Paw U, K.T. (2018). A Comparative Study for Estimating Crop Evapotranspiration in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Davis, CA, Center for Watershed Sciences, UC Davis. 1-88. March 2018. https://watershed.ucdavis.edu/project/delta-et
- Miller, K., B.J. Aegerter, N.E. Clark, M. Leinfelder-Miles, E.M. Miyao, R. Smith, R. Wilson, and D. Geisseler (2018). "Relationship between soil properties and nitrogen mineralization in undisturbed soil cores from California agroecosystems." Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis
- Espe, M.B., J.E. Hill, M. Leinfelder-Miles, L.A. Espino, R. Mutters, D. Mackill, C. van Kessel, B.A. Linquist (2018). "Rice yield improvements through plant breeding are offset by inherent yield declines over time." Field Crops Research 222: 59-65.
- Espe, M.B.; Hill, J.E. (2017). "Point stresses during reproductive stage rather than warming seasonal temperature determines yield in temperate rice." Global Change Biology
- Leinfelder, M. M.; Merwin, I. A. (2012). "Soil health indicators, apple tree growth, and carbon sequestration differ among orchard groundcover management systems." Acta Horticulturae 938: 333-340.
- Leinfelder, Michelle M.; Merwin, I. (2007). "Management strategies for apple replant disease." New York Fruit Quarterly Spring 2006: 4.
- Leinfelder, M. M.; Merwin, I. A. (2006). "Rootstock selection, preplant soil treatments, and tree planting positions as factors in managing apple replant disease." Hortscience 41(2): 394-401.
- Fazio, G.; Robinson, T. (2005). "Traits of the next wave of Geneva® apple rootstocks." The Compact Fruit Tree 38: 5.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Grain Legume - Chair
- Alfalfa and Forage Systems - Member
- Rice - Member
- Small Grain - Member
- Weed - Member